I need to make amends to you for some of my past actions. I’ve been guilty of carrying out a pattern of sexual sin and sexual misbehavior for the last 32 years. I’ve been working on my own personal recovery for the past 18 months. I’ve come to see that in order to live a sane life, and to restore my relationship with God, I need to live in a more loving and ethical way. There have been many times in the past when I haven’t acted ethically or in a loving way, and I know I’ve hurt you and others. I’m now in the process of going back to those I’ve hurt and attempting to make it right.
Specifically, I’ve hurt you by:
- Compulsively using pornography for many years
- Spending your money on pornography
- Interfering with your success at work
- Letting my character defects control your life
- Damaging your relationship with God
- Threatening your relationship with your wife and your daughter
- Holding you back from accomplishing your dreams
- Allowing my negative self-talk to berate you on a daily basis
- Stalling your emotional growth in adolescence
In all those actions I was selfish, inconsiderate, dishonest, self-seeking and afraid. I’m truly sorry for the deep hurt I caused you. If there’s anything I can do to make things right, please tell me.