“If one wants to know precisely where God is attempting to break through into one’s life, one only has to look at one’s own religious rigidity.” Michael Dwinell, Fire Bearer
God is tired of your knowledge of Him on your terms; He wants to break through and know you on His own terms. Religious rigidity is a defense mechanism we employ against God when He makes Himself known to us in new ways. As I wrote about yesterday (insert link), such times as these are very difficult and we are faced with the choice of staring into the abyss of the unknown, or retreating back to former ways of knowing God. If we do not resist God He rewards us with a new knowing of Himself on His terms. It is when we reject God’s offer of new knowledge that our religious rigidity begins to set in. If God offers us new knowledge of Himself and we reject Him, He will continue to knock at the door of our rigid religious defenses.
What is your greatest area of religious rigidity? Where is God trying to break through and reveal Himself to you in new ways? Carefully consider if the following questions apply to you:
- Do you refuse to acknowledge the existence of God?
- Are you convinced that your denomination is the way, the truth, and the life?
- Do you vehemently oppose particular worship styles?
- Do you exclusively use one translation of the Holy Bible?
- Have you been going to the same church for most of your life?
- Do you have a strong opinion on liturgical styles?
- How would you feel about someone showing up for church in jeans, a t-shirt, and slippers?
- Is it inappropriate to challenge the doctrine of your church?
- How would you react if a family member told you they didn’t want to go to church anymore?
- What do you feel when you read something derogatory about Christianity?
- Who do you absolutely not want to sit next to in church?
- Which people-groups in your area are not well-represented in the demographics of your church?
- Be honest with yourself: Are some sins worse than others? If so, which ones?
Did you learn anything new about yourself after reading this list? If so, what was it?